Here you will find general information about the Health and Welfare Plan (This information and more can be found in the Health + Welfare section of the web site in the form of downloadable pdf files that can be printed or just viewed)



Carpenters and Joiners Welfare Fund.


The Plan is a group health plan.  The Plan provides medical, vision, dental, life, accidental death and dismemberment and disability benefits.


Your Plan is sponsored and administered by a joint labor-management Board of Trustees.  The Board is divided equally between Trustees appointed by the Union and by Trustees appointed by Contributing Employers.

The address and telephone number of the third-party Plan Administrator the Trustees have hired to help administer the Plan is:

Wilson-McShane Corporation
3001 Metro Drive, Suite 500
Bloomington, MN 55425
(952) 851-5788 or (844) 468-5916


The name and address of the agent who the Trustees have appointed for service of legal process is:

Mr. Matthew Winkel
Wilson-McShane Corporation
3001 Metro Drive, Suite 500
Bloomington, MN 55425

Service of legal process may be made upon a Plan Trustee or the Plan Administrator.

Top of Page


The Plan receives contributions from employers who have entered into collective bargaining agreements with local Unions affiliated with the Union and are required to make contributions to the Plan.  Those contributions are calculated according to a formula in the relevant collective bargaining agreement, which specifies a particular dollar amount to be contributed for each hour in covered employment.  The Plan also receives contributions from employers who have Participation Agreements with the Trustees to provide coverage for their employees who are not bargaining unit members.  In those cases, the Trustees will determine an Employerís rate of contribution when approving and executing the Participation Agreement.  Contributions are made monthly to the Plan and enable employees working under Participation Agreements to participate in the Plan.

Employees are entitled to participate in this Plan if they work under one of the collective bargaining agreements or participating agreements and if their employers make the required contributions to the Plan on their behalf.

The Plan also receives contributions from employees, retirees, and dependents for the purpose of continuing coverage under the Plan.  In those situations, the Trustees determine the rate of contribution according to applicable law.


Employer contributions and employee, retiree, and dependent Self-Contributions are received and held in the Trust Fund by the Trustees pending the payment of benefits, insurance premiums, and administrative expenses.

All benefits paid by the Plan are self-insured.  In other words, the Plan does not rely on insurance contracts with health insurance companies to pay for your claims.  Instead, benefits are paid directly from the Trust Fund to you or the provider of services.  These self-insured benefits payable by the Plan are limited to the Planís assets available for such purposes.


The Plan year is January 1 through December 31.


The employer identification number (EIN) assigned to the Trust Fund by the Internal Revenue Service is 41-6024791.  The Plan number assigned by the Plan Sponsor is 501.


The North Central States Regional Council of Carpenters and Joiners is the Union that is a party to the Trust Agreement establishing the Fund.  Its address is:

North Central States Regional Council of Carpenters and Joiners
700 Olive Street
St. Paul, MN 55130-9825.

Top of Page

The Associations that are parties to the Trust Agreement establishing the Fund:

The Carpentry Contractors Association
620 Rosedale Towers
1700 West Highway 36,
Roseville, MN 55113

Associated General Contractors of Minnesota
Capital Office Building
525 Park Street, Suite #110
St. Paul, MN  55103-2186


The Plan is maintained under one or more collective bargaining agreements between the Union and the Association.  A complete list of employers and employee organizations sponsoring the Plan, and a copy of any collective bargaining agreements requiring contributions to the Plan, are available upon written request to the Plan Administrator.  They are also available for examination by Plan participants and beneficiaries at the office of the Plan Administrator.

Plan participants and beneficiaries may also receive from the Plan Administrator, upon written request, information as to whether a particular employer or employee organization is a sponsor of the Plan and, if the employer or employee organization is a Plan sponsor, the sponsorís address.


The Planís procedures for determining whether a court order qualifies, as a Qualified Domestic Child Support Order is available from the Plan Administrator, free of charge.

Preferred Provider Network Directory

A directory of providers in the Planís preferred provider network will be furnished to you automatically, free of charge, in a separate document when you become eligible under the Plan.  You can also get a copy of the directory from the Plan Administrator, free of charge.

Top of Page


As a participant in the Carpenters and Joiners Welfare Fund, you are entitled to certain rights and protections under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA).  ERISA provides that all Plan participants shall be entitled to:

Receive Information About Your Plan and Benefits

Examine, without charge, at the Plan Administratorís office and at other specified locations, such as worksites and union halls, all documents governing the Plan, including insurance contracts and collective bargaining agreements, and a copy of the latest annual report (Form 5500 Series) filed by the Plan with the U.S. Department of Labor and available at the Public Disclosure Room of the Employee Benefits Security Administration.

Obtain, upon written request to the Plan Administrator, copies of documents governing the operation of the Plan, including insurance contracts and collective bargaining agreements, and copies of the latest annual report (Form 5500 Series) and updated summary plan description.  The administrator may make a reasonable charge for the copies.

Receive a summary of the Planís annual financial report.  The Plan Administrator is required by law to furnish each participant with a copy of this summary annual report.

Continue Group Health Plan Coverage

Continue health care coverage for yourself, spouse or dependents if there is a loss of coverage under the Plan as the result of a qualifying event.  You or your dependents may have to pay for such coverage.  Review this summary plan description and the documents governing the Plan in the rules governing your COBRA Continuation Coverage rights.

Reduction or elimination of exclusionary periods of coverage for preexisting conditions under your group health plan, if you have creditable coverage from another plan.  You should be provided a certificate of creditable coverage, free of charge, from your group health plan or health insurance issuer when you lose coverage under the Plan, when you become entitled to elect COBRA continuation coverage, when your COBRA continuation coverage ceases, if you request it before losing coverage, or if you request it up to 24 months after losing coverage.  Without evidence of creditable coverage, you may be subject to a preexisting condition exclusion for 12 months (18 months for late enrollees) after your enrollment date for coverage.

Prudent Actions by Plan Fiduciaries

In addition to creating rights for plan participants, ERISA imposes duties upon people who are responsible for the operation of the employee benefit plan.  The people who operate your Plan, called ďfiduciariesĒ of the plan, have a duty to do so prudently and in the interest of you and other Plan participants and beneficiaries.  No one, including your employer, your union, or any other person, may fire you or otherwise discriminate against you in any way to prevent you from obtaining a welfare benefit from the Plan or exercising your rights under ERISA.

Enforce Your Rights

If your claim for a welfare benefit is denied or ignored, in whole or in part, you have the right to know why this was done, to obtain copies of documents relating to the decision, without charge, and to appeal any denial, all within certain time schedules.

Under ERISA, there are steps you can take to enforce the above rights.  For instance, if you request a copy of a plan document or the latest annual report from the Plan and do not receive them within 30 days, you may file suit in a Federal court.  In such a case, the court may require the Plan Administrator to provide the materials and to pay you up to $110 a day until you receive the materials, unless the materials were not sent because of reasons beyond the control of the administrator.  If you have a claim for benefits, which is denied or ignored, in whole or in part, you may file suit in Federal Court.  In addition, if you disagree with the Planís decision or lack thereof concerning a qualified medical child support order, you may file suit in Federal Court.  If it should happen that Plan fiduciaries misuse the Planís money, or if you are discriminated against for asserting your rights, you may seek assistance from the U.S. Department of Labor, or you may file a suit in Federal court.  The court will decide who should pay court costs and legal fees.  If you are successful, the court may order the person you have sued to pay those costs and fees.  If you lose, the court may order you to pay those costs and fees, for example, if it finds your claim is frivolous.

Top of Page

Assistance With Your Questions
If you have any questions about your Plan, you should contact the Plan Administrator. If you have any questions about this statement or about your rights under ERISA, or if you need assistance in obtaining documents from the Plan Administrator, you should contact the nearest office of the Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA), U.S. Department of Labor, listed in your telephone directory or:

  Division of Technical Assistance and Inquiries
  Employee Benefits Security Administration
  U.S. Department of Labor
  200 Constitution Avenue N.W.
  Washington D.C. 20210

For more information or to request publications about your rights and responsibilities under ERISA:

  Call (866) 444-3272; or

Home | What's New | Members - Login | General Information | Forms | Members Q&A | H & W | Pension Plan | Defined Contribution